Greyfriars/French Church

The ruins of a medieval Franciscan Friary founded in 1240 by Sir Hugh Purcell.

Suppressed in 1540 during the reign of Henry VIII the building was subsequently used as a charitable institute, the Hospital of the Holy Ghost.

In the 1690’s French Huguenots were granted part of the building resulting in it becoming known as the French Church. It fell into disuse in the 1880’s before coming into state care in the early 1900’s.

Source and image credit: Heritage Ireland OPW