Derryloran Church

The ruined church occupies the site of a pre-Norman church associated with St. Luran. The present ruin replaces a later church, built c.1622, although it incorporates stonework from an earlier building. Excavation has shown that it was built on the foundations of the medieval parish church, at least at the east end.

The church is a long, narrow structure. Towards the west end the window details are different and it is likely that the church was lengthened in the 18th century, when the porch and bell-cote was added. The building continued in use as a parish church until 1822 when it was abandoned for the new church in the town. The surrounding graveyard is still used for burial.

Source and image credit: Communities NI